Discussion: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 34  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next
dihoos
dihoos
Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 14 2009, 1:54 PM EDT | Post edited: May 14 2009, 1:54 PM EDT
who the hell is that guy and why did he want Jacob dead so badly and why could he not succeed in killing him? 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None
Mike1177
Mike1177
1. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 14 2009, 1:58 PM EDT | Post edited: May 14 2009, 1:58 PM EDT
"who the hell is that guy and why did he want Jacob dead so badly and why could he not succeed in killing him?"
I think he's Smokey. As for the rest of the questions, I don't know.
Do you find this valuable?    
#1LostFan
#1LostFan
2. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 14 2009, 8:04 PM EDT | Post edited: May 14 2009, 8:04 PM EDT
Him being the smoke monster would explain how he is able to be Locke, but I don't think he is the smoke monster. This does remind me of Esau, who in the Bible, is the brother of Jacob. Esau vowed to kill Jacob, but their conflict was eventually resolved. Do you find this valuable?    

eyesofpassion
3. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 15 2009, 4:27 AM EDT | Post edited: May 15 2009, 4:27 AM EDT
I think they’re (Jacob and this guy) an allegory for good and evil. Think of what we’ve just seen, every time Jacob showed himself, he looks like himself, but whenever this guy shows up he take the form of someone who has died on the Island. I think every time we’ve seen someone dead from the Island show up talking to anyone it has been him. Like Satan, he’s a deceiver using his powers to gain control of the Island and prove Jacob (God/Good) wrong over and over again. That’s what I think… 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Jquanmusic
4. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 16 2009, 8:30 AM EDT | Post edited: May 16 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
"Him being the smoke monster would explain how he is able to be Locke, but I don't think he is the smoke monster. This does remind me of Esau, who in the Bible, is the brother of Jacob. Esau vowed to kill Jacob, but their conflict was eventually resolved."
I was thinking the same thing, but Jacob and Esau were mortals. who knows what happens to time jumping mortals though. Although I do like the idea. In the bible Jacob stole Esau's birthright. Maybe in the show "Esau's" birthright was the island. Which would be cool since everyone on the island fights over the island, essentially. Also, it kind of seems like Jacob and "Esau" kind of treat Ben like God and Satan treated Job. Jacob takes everything away from Ben and "Esau" screws with him until he turns on Jacob. I love lost.

Jquanmusic
5. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 16 2009, 8:32 AM EDT | Post edited: May 16 2009, 8:32 AM EDT
"I think they’re (Jacob and this guy) an allegory for good and evil. Think of what we’ve just seen, every time Jacob showed himself, he looks like himself, but whenever this guy shows up he take the form of someone who has died on the Island. I think every time we’ve seen someone dead from the Island show up talking to anyone it has been him. Like Satan, he’s a deceiver using his powers to gain control of the Island and prove Jacob (God/Good) wrong over and over again. That’s what I think… "
Agreed, but Jacob is the name that translates into the deceiver. Maybe the other guy is the good guy?

eyesofpassion
6. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 16 2009, 12:20 PM EDT | Post edited: May 16 2009, 12:20 PM EDT
"Agreed, but Jacob is the name that translates into the deceiver. Maybe the other guy is the good guy?"
Hmmm....Good point....This is what I love so much about LOST...
lizzie101102
lizzie101102
7. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 16 2009, 3:07 PM EDT | Post edited: May 16 2009, 3:07 PM EDT
so at the very begining Jacob is wearing white the other dude black mabe there is some significance. If you notice when Ben saw Alex John was gone and he lied alot more than regular John did for once Ben was actualy honest to someone when he said he dident know John would come back to life. does anyone know what lies in the shadow of the statue? and who are ilianas people. so many questions so little time

eyesofpassion
8. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 16 2009, 5:18 PM EDT | Post edited: May 16 2009, 5:18 PM EDT
"so at the very begining Jacob is wearing white the other dude black mabe there is some significance. If you notice when Ben saw Alex John was gone and he lied alot more than regular John did for once Ben was actualy honest to someone when he said he dident know John would come back to life. does anyone know what lies in the shadow of the statue? and who are ilianas people. so many questions so little time
"
The translation is: "that which will save us all"
sean4dharma
sean4dharma
9. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 21 2009, 5:27 PM EDT | Post edited: May 21 2009, 5:27 PM EDT
"The translation is: "that which will save us all""
how did u find that out?
Stephany1177
Stephany1177
10. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 21 2009, 5:31 PM EDT | Post edited: May 21 2009, 5:31 PM EDT
"how did u find that out?
"
I found it on some website one time, let me see if I can find it...

There's one: http://lost.cubit.net/archives/2009/05/5x16-what-lies-in-the-shadow-o.php

There are quite a few websites around that clarify the translation.
Beatrix25
Beatrix25
11. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 22 2009, 4:05 PM EDT | Post edited: May 22 2009, 4:33 PM EDT
"so at the very begining Jacob is wearing white the other dude black mabe there is some significance. If you notice when Ben saw Alex John was gone and he lied alot more than regular John did for once Ben was actualy honest to someone when he said he dident know John would come back to life. does anyone know what lies in the shadow of the statue? and who are ilianas people. so many questions so little time
"
I think the answer to what lies in the shadow of the statue is...He who shall save us all, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, you made a very good point about Jacob wearing white and Mystery Man wearing black. It has been pointed out that black & white may be significant on the show. To me, it's obvious that Ilana and her crew are on Jacob's side and came to the island to help him. I really believe they are on the good side as well as Jacob.......Or as Stephany put it "that which will save us all", whatever it is, it's going to save us!!!
JessePA
JessePA
12. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 26 2009, 6:47 PM EDT | Post edited: May 26 2009, 6:47 PM EDT
"I think they’re (Jacob and this guy) an allegory for good and evil. Think of what we’ve just seen, every time Jacob showed himself, he looks like himself, but whenever this guy shows up he take the form of someone who has died on the Island. I think every time we’ve seen someone dead from the Island show up talking to anyone it has been him. Like Satan, he’s a deceiver using his powers to gain control of the Island and prove Jacob (God/Good) wrong over and over again. That’s what I think… "
Good one
JessePA
JessePA
13. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 26 2009, 6:48 PM EDT | Post edited: May 26 2009, 6:48 PM EDT
"Agreed, but Jacob is the name that translates into the deceiver. Maybe the other guy is the good guy?"
oooooo another good one
Beatrix25
Beatrix25
14. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 26 2009, 11:12 PM EDT | Post edited: May 26 2009, 11:12 PM EDT
Good theory. I agree that Mystery man took over people who died and used their body's for his own selfish purpose to gain control. What I don't understand is, I am sure that people died in the past on the island and I don't know why Mystery Man had to use Locke as his loophole to kill Jacob, maybe Locke has some importance in the feud between Jacob and Mystery Man. I think Mystery Man is the deceiver too and Jacob is the good one who already knows the outcome no matter how much Mystery Man tries to change it and get control...Jacob will always win, I hope.
Jkan_133
Jkan_133
15. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
May 28 2009, 11:50 AM EDT | Post edited: May 28 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
I think Esau can simply impersonate dead people. Think about all the dead people we've seen on the show: Yemi, Kate's horse. I think that both Jacob and Esau can impersonate dead people. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

eyesofpassion
16. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
Jun 6 2009, 8:30 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 6 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
"Good theory. I agree that Mystery man took over people who died and used their body's for his own selfish purpose to gain control. What I don't understand is, I am sure that people died in the past on the island and I don't know why Mystery Man had to use Locke as his loophole to kill Jacob, maybe Locke has some importance in the feud between Jacob and Mystery Man. I think Mystery Man is the deceiver too and Jacob is the good one who already knows the outcome no matter how much Mystery Man tries to change it and get control...Jacob will always win, I hope."
I think Locke was just used because of what Ben did to him and this was the only way Esau could get Ben to kill Jacob (because he couldn't do it himself). He knew how much hate Ben had for Jacob and this hate along with thinking Locke came back from the dead would make it easy for him to get Ben to kill.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
franksbbqsauce
franksbbqsauce
17. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
Jun 7 2009, 6:02 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 7 2009, 6:02 AM EDT
i also think that smokey and the man in black are seperate entities Do you find this valuable?    

vlromano
18. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
Dec 25 2009, 2:14 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 25 2009, 2:14 PM EST
I think this is a Good one too.
Just adding some thoughts in yours...If Jacob is God/good as our God in Bible, we can't forget that Christ died to save us all... Just like Jacob died. He knew what "locke" told to ben and gave to him the choice, he could do it or not.
Beatrix25
Beatrix25
19. RE: Who is "Jacob's enemy" or "the man in the form of John Locke?"
Dec 25 2009, 5:46 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 25 2009, 5:46 PM EST
Speaking of Jacob, I was wondering how he got off the island to the real world through all the years. I just don't think he went back and forth on the submarine, plus, Locke blew that up.

2 | Next