Discussion: Did It Really Happen?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 7 posts

thinkigotit
Did It Really Happen?
May 24 2007, 9:23 AM EDT | Post edited: May 24 2007, 9:23 AM EDT
It is highly possible that the theories regarding the whole event being in one person's imagination are on the right track. The ending of the season finale seems to suggest that. I theorize that several people, not one, were in a mental institution together when some sort of "jailbreak" happened, and the patients ran amok, killing the medical staffers. There seem to be elements involving things like phobias (like fear of numbers), schizophrenia, and persons bearing scars from events in their lives that left them emotionally scarred; that would indicate a need for mental and emotional counseling. It all is being played out in a delusional fantasy that they are seeing together, only because they are acting it out together. The Dharma Initiative may actually be The Dharma Institute. In the final scene it seems that Kate is cured in the future. But Jack was not successfully rehabilitated and still believes it really did happen. Furthermore, I believe Ben is the hospital's chief psychologist and he is trying to regain control over the situation by playing along with the fantasy. That is why he appears to be frightening to the "survivors" and yet all-knowing. 7  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None

tygr
1. RE: Did It Really Happen?
May 25 2007, 6:51 AM EDT | Post edited: May 25 2007, 6:51 AM EDT
no way this is what we've been watching the past 3 years for. Do you find this valuable?    

fivestarmichael
2. RE: Did It Really Happen?
May 25 2007, 7:14 PM EDT | Post edited: May 25 2007, 7:14 PM EDT
I think about the episode suggesting Hurly spent time in an insane asylum. It kind of reminded me of that John Cusack movie, "Identity." I really hope this isn't all in Hurley's mind. That would totally suck.

Of course, now we know the numbers are musical notes to "Good Vibrations." I just wonder how the woman knew the designer was a musician? Then there is the question of the boat offshore? Maybe the Dharma initiative is trying to get the island back. Maybe Jack now realizes Ben was right... who knows?
Do you find this valuable?    

Neuro
3. RE: Did It Really Happen?
May 27 2007, 6:57 PM EDT | Post edited: May 27 2007, 6:57 PM EDT
Having had a siezure disorder after being hit by a car, before it was controlled, it was like waiting to drop dead.The fact it affected my temporal lobe where we have concepts such as our idenity, and also where your most basic survival drives are directed, I have no words to explain how terrible it was. Before a siezure, I would feel a "disconnect" with reality. A sense of "I'm going to die". I would start to cry...very un-cool. I am a CEO of a very successful technology development company, and I lecture part time at the University level. I have a life most people can only dream of, and I thank God I'm still here, every day. Can our lost friends be experiencing something not grounded in the real world? Sure. A fair number of people have moments, or a life time of lesser, or worse events then I went through. And there are no meds to deal with some of them, where as I have this controled. We have discovered certain microwave frequencies can have profound effects on not just how we feel, but in some cases what we think,at a very basic level of course. In some cases, if you want to affect the mental perspective of a group, drugs are not required..By the way, one non-lethal weapons technology is designed to induce fear, remotely. What you have said does make sense... Do you find this valuable?    

thinkigotit
4. RE: Did It Really Happen?
Jun 7 2007, 9:09 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 7 2007, 9:09 AM EDT
"It is highly possible that the theories regarding the whole event being in one person's imagination are on the right track. The ending of the season finale seems to suggest that. I theorize that several people, not one, were in a mental institution together when some sort of "jailbreak" happened, and the patients ran amok, killing the medical staffers. There seem to be elements involving things like phobias (like fear of numbers), schizophrenia, and persons bearing scars from events in their lives that left them emotionally scarred; that would indicate a need for mental and emotional counseling. It all is being played out in a delusional fantasy that they are seeing together, only because they are acting it out together. The Dharma Initiative may actually be The Dharma Institute. In the final scene it seems that Kate is cured in the future. But Jack was not successfully rehabilitated and still believes it really did happen. Furthermore, I believe Ben is the hospital's chief psychologist and he is trying to regain control over the situation by playing along with the fantasy. That is why he appears to be frightening to the "survivors" and yet all-knowing."
Just a comment as to my theory that all this is a delusional fantasy. Remember the final episode of "Seinfeld"? There was actually a meaning behind it. If you think about it, for 9 seasons we watched and laughed along with these 4 people as they insulted, used, and disrespected other people. That was why the producers chose to end the show with all 4 of them going to jail for breaking the "good Samaritan" law. They were not really very nice people. In the end all America was going "Huh?" to the finale while it made sense to me. It was the show's way of laughing at us. In the end the viewers got what they deserved right along with Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer. And so it goes with "Lost". The producers want to come so close to convincing us that everything is grounded in realities that when the big payoff comes in the finale people will be talking for months about whether or not it did happen. It's almost like an experiment on the American viewers to question our own perception of whether what we see is real or in our imagination. Case closed.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
NotSoLostCastaway
NotSoLostCastaway
5. RE: Did It Really Happen?
Jul 10 2007, 5:38 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 10 2007, 5:38 PM EDT
No offense, but his theory is messed up. I mean, if Ben is really a "Chief Physcologist", why has he killed people?Well thought out though. P.S. To all the people worried that its purgatory or a dream, it is not. The writers/producers ruled that out in that recap thinger before the season 3 finale started. Do you find this valuable?    
bobbie140
bobbie140
6. RE: Did It Really Happen?
Sep 8 2007, 12:08 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 8 2007, 12:08 PM EDT
"No offense, but his theory is messed up. I mean, if Ben is really a "Chief Physcologist", why has he killed people?Well thought out though. P.S. To all the people worried that its purgatory or a dream, it is not. The writers/producers ruled that out in that recap thinger before the season 3 finale started."
I believe the asylum was real, & is not a "mind game" of Hurley, Libby or anyone else. Remember when Hurley was sitting in the iiving room, after the asylum, & his mother said he had to do something with his life. Only Dave was a figment of Hurley's imagination. This is not like "Identity". These are real people caught in a mysterius island.
Do you find this valuable?